Christmas Ham Orders
Trunkey is now taking online orders for your Christmas Hams. If you are looking to impress the family and your guests at Christmas, make sure you invest in the best quality ham. Get your order in before Thursday the 14th of December to secure your Trunkey Ham.
All Trunkey hams are double smoked in traditional smoke ovens with an extra time that gives it a full smoked flavour.
How to Order your Christmas Ham with Trunkey Bacon & Pork:
- Phone – give us a call on 02 6369 1381 to place your order.
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org – simply send us a quick email with the size ham you would like to order
- In-Store – drop by our shop at 68 Endsleigh Ave, Orange.
- Online – you can now order your Christmas Ham online through our website www.trunkey.com.au
For the perfect roast pork, there are just a few simple steps to make a meal the whole family will love. To cook the crispiest crackling, there are three things you need: Heat, Oil & Salt.
One of the most important things to remember, is to get the rind as dry as possible before the cooking process.
- Remove your roast from the packaging and pat dry with paper towel. With a small sharp knife, deeply score the rind at 1cm intervals, being careful to not cut into the meat. If time allows, leave the scored roast uncovered in the fridge for 1 hour, or ideally overnight. This process further dries the rind and aids the crackling process.
- When you’re ready to cook, put your pork on a wire rack in the sink and pour a jug of boiling water over the rind. Pat dry thoroughly with paper towel.
- Rub the roast with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and half a tablespoon of salt (more if you like salty crackling), making sure the oil and salt penetrate the scores.
- Place the roast on a wire rack inside a baking tray and cook at 240°C (max 250°C conventional) until the rind crackles, up to 50 minutes. If the roast is over 2kg, take 10 minutes off this initial crackling time.
- Turn the oven down to 180°C and cook for 30-35 minutes per kg, depending on how well you like your roast cooked.
- Once cooked, let the roast rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Note: to achieve great crackling, getting the oven temperature correct is critical. We recommend the use of an “oven thermometer” to verify that the stated oven temperature is accurate.
For Roasts without crackling:
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Gently sear roast in a hot pan
- Place in oven and cook for 45 minutes per kg to finish
- Rest for 5-10 minutes and enjoy!
What size roast should you choose?
Use this as a guide to help you select your roast.
|Type of Roast||Generally approx.|
|Bone-in Roast||3.5 – 4kg||Feeds about 10 – 12 people|
|Boneless Roast||1.5 – 2kg||Feeds about 6 – 8 people|
Use this simple table as a guide.
|Type of Ham||Per Person||Quantity|
|Bone-in Ham||250g per person||6 people = 1.5-1.8kg ham|
|Boneless Ham||200g per person||6 people = 1.2-1.5kg ham|
- Soak a ham bag, pillowcase or tea towel in a solution of 2 cups of water and 1 tablespoon of vinegar.
- Squeeze out excess moisture and place the ham in the bag, pillowcase of wrap in a tea towel. Store in the coolest part of the fridge (below 4°C).
- Rinse and re-soak the bag in a new solution every few days or when it dries out. Fresh Australian leg ham should last for up to 3 weeks.
Place ham skin side up. Then run a small sharp knife under the rind around the bottom (opposite end to hock) and each side of the ham to about halfway up.
Peel the rind back.
Run the tip of the knife around the bone, on the underside of the ham. Begin to slice on a slight angle down to the bone.
Run your knife length-ways along the bone to remove slices. Continue to slice towards the hock.
Continue slicing down to the bone, working your way around the ham until you reach about a third of the way up. Remove the bone by making a few short cuts at the joint.
To keep your ham fresh, fold rind back over exposed surface, place in a Ham Bag, pillowcase or wrap in a tea towel and store in the fridge.
- Prepare your favourite glaze recipe
- Remove rind and use a sharp knife to score ham in a diamond pattern.
- Place ham scored side up in a large baking pan and brush over glaze.
- Place into a preheated oven or hooded BBQ at 180°C for 20 minutes per kg, basting occasionally, until ham is brown and warmed through.