Pork Belly with Caramelized Sauce
- 1.55 kg piece boned pork belly, scored in a diamond shape
- Olive oil
- Sea salt & freshly ground pepper
- 120 gm soft brown sugar
- 90 ml red wine vinegar
- 3 star anise
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Grated rind & juice of 1 orange
- Vegetable oil
- Bok choy, steamed, to serve
- 2 spring (green) onions, shredded
- Preheat oven to 200°C fan forced (220°C normal).
- Rub the pork all over with olive oil and salt. Then put it in a lightly oiled baking tray, skin side down. Rub a little more oil on top and cook in the oven for 30 mins.
- Turn the oven temp. down to 170°C fan forced (190°C normal) and cook in the oven for about 40 mins. Then turn the pork over and roast for about another 20 mins until the skin is crispy.
- Remove the pork from the oven, cover loosely with kitchen foil and rest for 30 mins, before slicing.
- Put the sugar, red wine vinegar and star anise in a small pot. Gently cook until the sugar has dissolved and the liquid is syrupy.
- Then add the stock with the orange zest and juice. Stir well and briefly cook until reduced. Season to taste.
- Heat a little vegie oil in a wok (or non-stick pan) and stir fry the bok choy.
- To serve, Plate steamed rice, arrange the bok choy and pork with the crackling on the side and drizzle the sauce over the top.